Thursday, March 8, 2018

The Science of Star Wars by Mark Brake and Jon Chase

I love Star Wars movies. My favorite is Rogue One. 



Ever since I was little, I was fascinated by Space. I would look up to the night sky and wonder. Then I'd become sad because I could never visit those points of light. And for a long time, I thought I wanted to be an astronaut, but I couldn't overcome the motion sickness. So, there I was. No way of making my dreams come true.

Then I got lucky. When I was in junior high school, I had a choice of Science classes. I could take a regular science class or an Astronomy. Of course, I chose Astronomy class, and it was awesome!  This wonderful 7th grade experience led me to work for NASA in high school (on a Space Station program) and helped me decide on Mechanical Engineering as my college major.

So, when I watch Star Wars or any other science fiction movie, there are things that makes me pause and think - what in the world - then I go on to enjoy the movie. But when I watched Return of the Jedi, I just couldn't believe the ending. Every time. The reality of the ending would have given the rebels nothing to celebrate, but this book does a fantastic job of explaining the science behind Star Wars without ruining the movies.



The best part? I picked it up from Barnes and Noble for $7.99. So, if you get a chance to go to Barnes and Noble this weekend, this might be a book to peruse through.

Also, if you like this book, you might want to check out Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku.

Have a great day!

PS - Barnes and Noble also had a book on The Science of Harry Potter, which I also bought. If I read it and like it, I'll blog about that later.


No comments:

Post a Comment