Friday, March 2, 2018

Inside and Outside Twister

Can you be inside-out and outside-in at the same time? No? What if you can?

It's called a Möbius Strip, and we're going to make one today. It's surprisingly easy and fun.


My Möbius Strip after I cut along the middle.


Usually, a Möbius Strip is made with thinner strips of paper (1 in width). But I made this with thicker width because I wanted to cut it along the middle and make a longer one.

List of Materials:
  • Paper
  • Scissors
  • Tape


I folded a piece of paper in half, then again in half, to make 4 quarter width thick strips.
I'll only be using two strips.


I overlapped the 2 strips and taped along the width, front and back.


Then I twisted the strip and taped the other ends, both front and back.


Began cutting along the middle, all the way around the Möbius Strip.


Half way done cutting along the Möbius Strip.


Now, I have a Möbius Strip twice as long.


And if I decide to cut along the middle of this strip, it will keep its shape. It'll just be twice as long as this one.

Interesting Facts:
  • Möbius Strip was invented by a German Mathematician, August Möbius who was interested in Topology.
  • Topology is a study of geometrical shapes that won't change when it is bent or stretched.
Did you know?

When I first saw this twisted strip, I thought, hmm.... Interesting. Yum..., brain candy. I could imagine all kinds of possibilities. But I didn't know what kind of practical use a shape like this would have. But you know what I've learned recently? That Möbius strips have been used as fan belts in cars and conveyor belts in factory set ups. 

Imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment