Thursday, May 10, 2018

Catapult Hack-a-thon!

This is a project I picked up from RAFT in San Jose. This would have been a good project on its own, but I wanted to challenge my 6th graders. So, for the first ten minutes, I have the students quickly put this kit together. Then we spent the rest of the class period hacking it for distance and accuracy.


This is what the students built in the beginning.


Supplies List:
  • 1 binder side or a cardboard the size of a binder 
  • 7 unsharpened pencils
  • 2 binder clips
  • 1 soft pompom ball
  • 1 plastic spoon
  • 1 rubber band
  • 1 pencil top eraser
  • 5 rubber tubes with a hole in the middle
  • 1 rubber tube
Build Instructions:
As I said, I built the catapult then left as an example for the students to see and build. I also leave out the instruction pamphlet for them.

Once they build the catapult, they come up to the line and shoot it to see how it flies. Then the students are instructed to "hack" the catapult. The students are encouraged to do anything they want to it, except they can't cut the rubber tubes and break the pencils.

And these are what the students came up with (I didn't add all 4 classes of modifications).

















The best of the best! (see below)
This design was so awesome that this design gave me goosebumps!

1st hack attempt. This didn't shoot as far as the team had hoped.


The final hack!
Closed. At rest position.






Fully armed.
Ready for a shot.
Fun group photos:








1 comment: