Thursday, March 29, 2018

Simple Rack-and-Pinion gears (Mechanisms) - Page 115, Build #155

This is what we're building today - Rack-and-pinion gears.



Rack-and-pinion gears are used to change rotational movement (the yellow and gray gears with the rubber band going around it) to linear movement (the side-to-side movement going across the white pieces or racks). The steering system in cars is a good example of rack-and-pinion gears at work.

Parts I'm using today:

I'm making do with what I have. I'm pretty sure they'll work fine. If not, we'll just have to figure things out as we go.

Let's build:










1st design for the motor support.




In this state, it wasn't the white rack that moved from side-to-side, but the gears moving awkwardly.


So, I removed some support pieces, and stuck the motor on a bigger, anchoring piece. But this still moved things enough that the video didn't turn out very well. So, when I was recording the video, the gray platform had to be held down.

It was still neat to watch.





Here's a video. Enjoy!


Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment