Wednesday, April 18, 2018

U.C. Berkeley's Cal Day 2018!

I can't deny it. I'm partial, and I can't help it. 

Sorry for the short notice. It's this Saturday.



For a long time after I graduated from Cal, my heart would still beat a little faster when I saw the top of the Campenile when approaching the campus. My years at Cal were hard. Sometimes, I wondered if I could get through the program, but I did. And, along the way, I was blessed with many happy and fun memories of Cal and friends I made here.

But believe it or not, last year was the 1st year I took my daughter to a Cal Day event. Sure, I took them on campus before, but not on a Cal Day. And it was a blast. So much to do and so many things to see.

We sat through a Materials Engineering lecture about Harry Potter's invisibility cloak, talked to engineering students, spent time exploring dinosaur bones, learned about leaf characteristics in tropical plants, etc. It was so much fun, and there are so many things to do for little kids, too. Unfortunately, we couldn't make it until 1pm, so we really had to cram stuff in, but we promised that we'd do it again this year.



I know. Cal Day has an extensive list of events but try to take a little bit of your time and plan things to take advantage of so many fun and interesting programs.


After you take the time to select what's interesting to you, you get this. Your own list of events. Now, you can adjust the schedule to accommodate your priorities. Or you could be like us last year. We walked around, saw something interesting, and spent time there.



Kids activities have bear logo next to it, so it'll be easy for you to spot.



 We also found this informative because we talked to someone about education abroad opportunities at Cal.


I didn't know that you can take cable car tours on campus. I'm not sure if we're going to have time for cable car tours this year, but maybe some other year.


 I wouldn't recommend driving on Cal Day, but if you're planning an early start, you might have some luck finding parking near the campus.


We took BART last year, and we're planning to take BART this year, too.

This is a great opportunity for you and your family to have fun and learn about Cal, even if your kids are young. And the best part, everything is FREE! The museums. The labs. The workshops. Etc. 

Come and join in on the fun!

UC Berkeley Cal Day 2018 Website

PS - Sure. I think Cal is an awesome school, but Cal Day offers middle school and high school students opportunities to find out what they want to study (and in some cases, ask questions to students who are studying the field of their interest) and what it takes to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment