Saturday, February 24, 2018

Ranger's Apprentice, The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan

I love this book, and I first read this book in 2010. And I've re-read this book a couple of times more, since.



My son discovered this book at his elementary school book fair, and since then our whole family (my husband included) is a fan of this series.

Will No-Name is a fifteen-year-old orphan who is raised with other wards, including Alyss, Jenny and Horace, at Castle Redmont under Baron Arald’s care. Will believes that his father was a mighty warrior who died in an important battle, but Horace ridicule and harass Will at every opportunity. 

Growing up in Castle Redmont, Will dreams of attending Battleschool and becoming a knight of renown, just like his father. But in Will’s world, he doesn’t get to choose. He must be chosen by one of the masters at Castle Redmont on the Choosing Day, and the Battle Master doesn’t choose him. The Battle Master thinks Will is too small. Instead, he is chosen by Halt, the Ranger, as his apprentice.

Much to Will's chagrin, Horace is chosen by the Battle Master for the Battleschool, but Horace's life is made miserable by older boys in the Battleschool. And on the outside of the castle walls, a war is brewing. The exiled Morgarath, Lord of the Mountains of Rain and Night, is getting ready to attack the kingdom of Araluen. 

This time, Morgarath vows, he will be triumphant.

This is a great start of a new series. The author does a great job of creating characters that are real and sympathetic. I want to know everything there is to know about Will and Halt. Every time, I hope this looming war won't take too much from the people of Redmont.

I read the whole series, and the next series by the same author called Brother Band Chronicles (Stories of Viking world).

Being female, I wish there were more stories of Jenny and Alyss, rather than Will and Horace.... But I guess I have to remember that this is the Ranger's Apprentice, not Cook's Apprentice or Diplomat's Apprentice. 

I would recommend this book to advanced readers of 3rd graders or older (there's nothing graphic or bad in there - a kiss and a couple of battle scenes).

Though I loved both Harry Potter Series and Eragon Series, I think the Ranger's Apprentice Series is a better one. The world is more real. The dangers are more urgent. And it's up to a group of fifteen-year-olds to save the world.

PS - Rangers in this series are like the Army Rangers of United States, special forces soldiers. The Rangers try to fight and win battles before battles reach the people.



No comments:

Post a Comment