Thursday, February 26, 2015

Stupendous 2015 Strawckets! - Part 2

I thought about not writing part 2 to this wonderful project, but there were too many awesome rockets from  2nd graders and 4th graders to ignore.

When I go into a classroom, I usually try to give students some context for the project  we're doing that day (what's the point if they don't understand the relevance?). For this project, I talked about the possibility of a manned mission to Mars and how we need a new rocket technology to get us there. Of course, we also need a very efficient rocket design that will make the most of the new technology. 

I also talk about what we take when we go on vacation, and what things we must take to Mars or elsewhere when it could potentially be a one-way trip after a problematic landing. Sometimes (I haven't done it recently), we have a discussion about the fact that it might cost more than $1,000,000 to take 1 pound something into space. All these problems point to coming up with a very efficient rocket design:
  1. to make it safer for the astronauts
  2. to arrive at the destination faster
  3. to save money
 So, without farther ado, here are some great designs from today's classes.


2nd grade Distance Strawcket Winners

2nd grade Spiral Trick Strawcket Winners

Other Strawcket designs from a 2nd grade class
4th grade Distance Strawcket Winners
4th grade Spiral Trick Strawcket Winners
Please check out some other interesting designs from the 4th grade class.







Sure, a lot of these designs may have problems with aerodynamics, but I don't feel that it's my job to curtail their creativity in any way.

The words to remember for my science project classes are - curiosity, creativity, and determination.

I  hope you have fun with your strawckets.

No comments:

Post a Comment